What topics do you care about? What are you considering writing about? Come up with a few topics to choose from.
Chapter 2 Reports
Focus on exploring purpose and topic. p. 47
The purpose of the next assignment is to present information. Basically, present the research you do on a topic of your choice. The topic and type of report is completely up to you.
What we need to do now is decide on the your purpose, topic, and genre.
Then we can identify the subgenre of report. Is it an expository essay, psychology term paper, lab report, journal article, or like Grossman, is it a newspaper feature article?
Each type of report will have different conventions. You will develop the research question, thesis statement, audience, structure, format, style and design, and include images or infographics. We will work together to help develop these conventions.
You must use five sources, three academic. You can also use websites, interviews, documentaries, something else?
The report can be in any style of format that you think best suits it. Here is a list of choices:
- Essay Report 1,000 words
- PowerPoint slide 8+ slides
- News Report 1-2 min Video
- Breaking News Video 1-2 min Video
- Wikipedia style page 1,000+ words
- Featured Article in Newspaper 1,000+ words
What is Academic Writing?
Slideshare Summary of What is Academic Writing?
Academic Research may be new to you, but don’t worry. Just like everything else, it is something that you have to learn and that gets easier the more you do it. Here are some tips for smart searching.
- Begin by searching using keywords and subject headings. What keywords best describe your idea?
- Refine your search using Boolean operators; AND, OR, NOT
- Limit your search by subject area, date, genre, full text, peer review, scholarly, or popular.
- Use the Library database, Google Scholar, Google News, books.
Great Resource from Indiana University for Handouts and Worksheets to help you with your research.[pdf-embedder url=”http://www.professorramos.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/research-worksheet.pdf” title=”research worksheet”]
This is especially important for this assignment. You will have to navigate multiple research articles and sources. Annotating them and keeping track will be necessary.
What topic have you decided on? What type of report are you going to write?
- Develop a list of research questions.
- Read “Ten Ways to Think About Writing” Journal
- Read Chapter 42, Summarizing Sources
- Read Chapter 43, Paraphrasing Sources
- Read Chapter 45, Documenting Sources